Where is the camp?
The camp is located in the Lower Zambezi National Park in Zambia near the confluence of the Mwambashi and Zambezi Rivers – View Map.

Do I need a visa to travel to Zambia?
Tourists from most countries require a visa, which can be bought upon arrival into the country.

How much does a visa cost?
A single entry visa is $50. Ask your travel agent for more information or visit:

Do I need a vaccination to travel to Zambia?
Travellers from Zambia; Tanzania; Eritrea; Somalia; Sao Tome and Principe will no longer be required to produce proof of the yellow fever certificate when travelling to South Africa after they were included on the World Health Organisation Low Risk Yellow Fever Countries list. – more info. – more info.

What is Yellow Fever?
Yellow Fever is an infectious vector-borne disease that is caused by a virus. It’s transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. For more information please visit:

What about Malaria?
Malaria exists in Zambia, therefore we recommended that you take malaria prophylaxis. There are many different types of preventatives so it’s important to seek advice from your physician on the best anti-malarial pills to take.

Does Mwambashi River Lodge have an emergency medical kit?
Yes, but we suggest you bring your own medicines, prescription and otherwise.

Does Zambia charge airport tax?

Visitors are charged a departure tax of US$16 when departing from Zambian airports made up as follows:

Passenger Service Charge – US$8.00
Aviation Security Charge – US$3.00
Aviation Infrastructure – US$5.00
This cost is included in transfer costs with Proflight schedule flights and Royal Air Charters. Other charter flights may vary.
International departure tax – $25 (usually included in international ticket)

What is the Zambian currency?

The local currency is called the Zambian Kwacha.

Can I use my own currency in Zambia?
No, however the most acceptable foreign currency to use are USA dollars, which are accepted everywhere, but only the newer notes.

Can I use my credit card?
There are no credit card payment facilities at Mwambashi, so clients are requested to pay via EFT or with cash while at the camp.
Credit cards are accepted in most places in Zambia but not in remote areas, so cash and traveller’s cheques are ideal.

What insurance do I need?
As with all international traveling, we strongly recommend that you have a comprehensive travel insurance that includes: baggage, trip cancellation/curtailment and medical emergencies and evacuation.

How do locals feel about photography?
Please be sensitive when photographing public buildings and people in Zambia. Be courteous, polite and always ask permission.

Is there electricity at the camp?
There is generator power for limited periods in the morning and evening. Plug outlets are available (in the rooms and Boma) and are connected to 220 volts alternating current. This is enough to power hair dryers, and charge batteries for laptops and cameras.

What important items should I bring?
• Photocopy of passport photo page
• Passport
• Airline tickets
• Pen for filling out customs forms, etc.
• Cash/Travellers cheques and credit cards
• Approximately 35 $1 dollar bills for miscellaneous tipping
• Insurance: Accident; medical; baggage and cancellation
• Certificates of inoculations

What clothing should I bring?
• Clothing in neutral bush colours
• Wind-proof, warm jacket for morning & evening game drives
• Light sweater/jumper for evenings in camp
• Tropical-weight long sleeve shirts (2-3)*
• Tropical-weight long pants (2)*
• Casual pants (1-2) / Casual shirts (2)
• Shorts (2)
• Tennis shoes and /or boat shoes
• Hiking boots (light & well worn in!) especially if going on walking safaris
• T- shirts (2-3)
• Underwear, pyjamas
• Socks
• Teva-type sandals
• Cap or wide brim hat

Does the lodge offer complementary laundry service?
Yes. So don’t overpack.

What is the weight of my luggage?

What other items should I bring?
• Binoculars
• Sunscreen (block) / lip balm (minimum 30 SPF)
• Toiletries
• Personal medications
• Camera, long telephoto lenses for game viewing & plenty of film
• Locks for duffel bags & luggage
• Aloe Vera gel for sunburn
• Imodium AD tablets
• Insect repellent (with high DEET concentration)
• Consider a small first aid kit with band aids, topical antibiotics, etc.
• Torch and headlight
• Ear plugs (to drown out a snoring roommate, or snoring hippo)
• 2 Zip-loc bags (half gallon size)
• 2 big bin bags for dirty clothes, etc.

What items should I leave at home?
• Jewellery, other valuables, illicit drugs and firearms
• Colognes and perfumes as these attracts insects

What is the weather like?
During safari season, from mid April to November, there is virtually no rainfall. Typically, there is less than 400mm(15 inches) per annum.
The temperature in the valley varies considerably between a mean of 19°C in June to a mean of 30°C in October.